Friday, April 29, 2011

Sisters

After Nonie was born I remember thinking 'Did I make a mistake?  Have I ruined Lillian's life by bringing another child into our family and taking so much of my attention away from her?'  Even now I feel like I spend a lot of time breaking up arguments between my girls.  Sometimes they are oil and water; impossible to mix.  But then sometimes, just sometimes they aren't.  Sometimes their laughter peals through the house making it impossible not to join in.  We all find ourselves giggling like little girls, grinning from ear to ear.

Tonight I could not get them to go to sleep.   One would say something and the other would just roll with giggles which in turn would make the other laugh harder.  All this laughter makes it impossible to be stern or enforce bedtime.  For how can one be stern when one is giggling uncontrollably?

In the last three years I've learned there is no one else in the world who will love Lil the way her sister does.  And in turn there is no one in the world who can love Nonie the way Lil does.  They are for better or worse stuck with each other; best friends or worst enemies.  Guess having another one wasn't such a bad choice after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment