Monday, August 20, 2012

Our foray into home schooling



We've attended Waldorf schools since Lillian was 18 months old.  When we found we would be moving to California one of the first things I did was scout out the local Waldorf schools.  We found a great one, applied and got accepted.  They even gave us a great tuition break.  But for several logistical reasons we decided it just wasn't going to work for us this year.  We checked out the local public schools which got rave reviews but decided they just weren't for us.  Which pretty much left home schooling.

I've toyed with the idea of home schooling since Lil was 6 months old but we've always gone another route.  Now seemed like the ideal time to give it a try.  I have spent the last week and a half diving into all the information I could find.  I'm not going to lie it's totally overwhelming.  There are so many curriculum choices and ways to go about home schooling.
 
But I'm excited too!  I'm dreaming of all the interesting things we'll learn this year.  I imagine Lil will learn to read and improve her math skills.  Those things are exciting but she'll also get to learn to play soccer and paint and draw and maybe dance.  I am dreaming of all the interesting ways we'll learn together this year.  I want to have a day each week where we find half an hour to write letters to all our friends all over the country.  I want to spend time in the woods and learn the local plants and trees and bugs.  I want to spend time at the ocean tide pooling and learning the names of all the creatures we find.  Yes my friends the possibilities are endless.  I am excited to see what the year will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment