Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Homemade for Christmas: some more doll photos




These are the cradles my Dad made for the dolls. I asked that they stack for storage as our little house is already full enough. Aren't these amazing?! I am always amazed at what that man comes up with. He is brilliant! (And yes they do come apart and are interchangeable)
These are the quilts my Mom made for the cradles. (She also made the mattresses) She used left over fabric from the baby blankets she made the girls when they were born. I thought that was a fantastic extra touch. It's also a good way to always know which one belongs to which girl. They already know the colors.

And while I was full of good intentions all I ended up having time left for was making two little sweaters. I'll get around to the shoes eventually. I found the sweater pattern on the Bamboletta blog. Ravlery also seems to have a couple good ones. This particular pattern is for a 15 inch doll and these were 16 inch dolls. I added a couple extra rows with increases before dividing for the sleeves. I think I would add a couple more rows next time to make them just a little bigger. I made these dolls with 16 inch Honey Doll kits from Joy's Waldorf Dolls. She seems to have retired but it looks like she's selling the business so keep checking back with her site if you're interested. There are also several other companies out there that sell doll kits. I have to say the whole experience was a lot of fun. And I am so pleased the girls have these family made treasures now. I am blessed to be a part of such a creative family. Well I've got a girl who's about to turn four so I'm off to create a birthday gift.

3 comments:

  1. I adore everything, but am particularly in love with the beds. Jack is really into putting everything to bed right now! In fact, the only way we can get him to go to nap or final bedtime is if he is in charge of finding the train or other little toy most in need of sleep , which he then must carry up with him, put down in their box/bed, and then cover them up. Everything is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would expect no less from your father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo beautiful, all of it, and so personalized and FUN! Your family is very talented, and lucky to have you to inspire them : )

    ReplyDelete